.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Quote of the Week



"Since scripture is something derivative, it must be understood from the essential nature of the Church, which is the eschatological and irreversable permanence of Jesus Christ in history."

-- Karl Rahner

6 Comments:

Blogger DWright said...

Do you know from context what scripture is derivative from?

5:47 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

David, yes. The quote comes from a work by Rahner titled Foundations of the Christian Faith and he is discussing Scripture and the Church in this section.

He is describing how Scripture is derived from the Church, so it must be understood in the context and nature of the Church.

7:24 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I never knew Carl Reiner was a theologian. DOes mel brooks know?

9:19 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Does Mel Brooks know? Don't you know, CR, Mel Brooks is the common man's theologian.

9:49 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger DWright said...

Thanks, T.B. I figured as much.

Maybe one of these days we can get some sort of blog colloquium going on precisely these issues. As evidenced by your tradition series and my patristics series, there certainly is enough interest in the issues. Our other Circle of Faith colleagues have similar interests, it seems.

I've only begun investigating the area, so I don't feel well-qualified to leap in with my own opinion. However, I have to say that my initial response to the Scripture derives from the Church stance is one of great discomfort. I'm sure this has much to do with being Protestant, but it also has to do with its ramifications for scripture. I'm aware that the traditional ahistorical Protestant account of canon formation is inadequate. However, I don't think that a more historically conditioned view of the matter necessarily means that canon derives from church. Ultimately my discomfort has to do with the fact that this view makes the church a category of revelation, which has all sorts of (perhaps unintended) consequences. I believe the church is in the category of redemption history, as is scripture, but that scripture and Christ are in a category of revelation in a way that the church is not.

In any case, plenty to mull over . ..

12:32 PM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Nelmezzo states:
"Maybe one of these days we can get some sort of blog colloquium going on precisely these issues."

I would like that, and also know of several other blogs that might like to participate if we ever decided to do so.

While I am Protestant, I think I am coming closer to the opinion that the Church was very much the source of Scripture, especially after my NT studies in seminary and my private research of the Patristics and Church History.

It would take too long to explain my views (esp. the RC thought of authority regarding the Church, which I am unsettled about), but that certainly would be something I might post in the future (especially if we did some type of blog colloquium).

5:02 PM, January 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home