.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Quote of the Week


"With all the sciences that stir the head and heart, theology is the fairest. It is the closest to human reality."


--Karl Barth

9 Comments:

Blogger Correy said...

Nice and simple quote. I like the contrast.

11:43 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Ben Myers said...

Nice to see a bit of Barth on your blog.

12:11 AM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Chris Tilling said...

Slippery slope, TB. Next you'll be wanting to buy the entire Chuch Dogmatics - and they ain't cheap.

7:21 AM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Well, Chris, I have already been pricing a set - so I think I have reached the bottom of that slippery slope - I might add that this is clearly Ben's fault (Or perhaps Ben's Blog's Fault - say that three times real fast!)

8:49 AM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I have not read Barth yet. I have one of his books, but it hasn't left the shelf, perhaps when I'm done kung next year.

9:36 AM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Doug E. said...

That is an interesting quote. I noticed he said it is the closest to human reality. Does that mean he doesn't think theology actually corresponds to human reality?

I don't know much about him, but I seem to have some recollection of Him denying propositional truth. If this is true, and the Bible is written in propositions, does that mean that the Bible is almost true or the closest we can get to human reality without it actually corresponding.

I have not studied him much so this could be completely wrong, but it's just some thoughts I have.

Doug

1:47 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Good question, Doug. I think relative to the other sciences, Barth is saying, it, among the others, is the closest.

I am uncertain whether Barth held to a correspondence view of truth or not.

However, you should read him since he had a huge impact upon 20th century theology.

5:01 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Ben Myers said...

Well, Chris and Todd, I promise I'll come to visit both of you if your new-found desire to own the Church Dogmatics lands you in jail.

5:08 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Doug E. said...

With that I would agree! Both theology being the closest and the fact that I need to read him.

Thanks,

Doug

8:35 PM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home