.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pope Benedict XVI on the Resurrection

"The Resurrection is not a thing of the past, the Resurrection has reached us and seized us. We grasp hold of it, we grasp hold of the risen Lord, and we know that he holds us firmly even when our hands grow weak. We grasp hold of his hand, and thus we also hold on to one another's hands, and we become one single subject, not just one thing. I, but no longer I: This is the formula of Christian life rooted in baptism, the formula of the Resurrection within time. I, but no longer I: If we live in this way, we transform the world. It is a formula contrary to all ideologies of violence, it is a program opposed to corruption and to the desire for power and possession."

- From a homily delivered by Pope Benedict XVI at the Easter Vigil Mass at St. Peter's Basilica

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I knew you'd enjoy it.

2:45 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger David said...

"I, but no longer I." Yes! This is the best explanation of Galatians 2:20 that I have ever read:

"My 'I' is taken away from me and is incorporated into a new and greater subject. This means that my 'I' is back again, but now transformed, broken up, opened through incorporation into the other, in whom it acquires its new breadth of existence.
................
"This liberation of our 'I' from its isolation, this finding oneself in a new subject means finding oneself within the vastness of God and being drawn into a life which has now moved out of the context of 'dying and becoming.' The great explosion of the Resurrection has seized us in baptism so as to draw us on. Thus we are associated with a new dimension of life into which, amid the tribulations of our day, we are already in some way introduced. To live one's own life as a continual entry into this open space: This is the meaning of being baptized, of being Christian. This is the joy of the Easter Vigil."

2:55 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Yes, I really enjoyed that homily. I thought he hit the nail right on the head from start to finish! Thank you for sending me the link!

5:41 PM, April 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home