.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

New Books

I was in the north Dallas, Texas area yesterday, and whenever I'm in the north Dallas area I love to go to the largest used bookstore in this part of the country. It is the flagship store for the family owned chain of bookstores called Half-Price Books. The store is 30,000 square feet of used books - it is huge.

Well, in their religion section (more specifically the theology section within the religion section), I found some jewels. I found The Crucified God by Jurgen Moltmann (while I have already read this book, I actually did not own a copy, so it was nice to find one second hand), I also found The Understanding of Faith by Edward Schillebeeckx (thanks go out to Ben Myers for introducing me to Schillebeeckx). Finally, I found a very interesting book titled Contemporary Continental Theologians by S. Paul Schilling. This last book is actually a secondary text detailing the thoughts of major theologians such as Karl Barth, Herman Diem, Rudolph Bultmann, Gerhard Ebeling, Yves Congar, Karl Rahnar and others. I was surprised to find these at this location since often times the theology section can be picked over pretty well at this store. However, I was very pleased to have been able to purchased them at less than half their retail price.

4 Comments:

Blogger attycortes said...

T.B,

The first and only book I have by Edward Schillebeeckx is "I am a Happy Theologian" - a short but great read! Here in the Philippines there are almost no books by him available. Mine was a lucky find but unrepeatable through the years:(. I envy you!

7:57 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

attycortes,

welcome! Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles at finding good books there in the Philippines.

Are you familiar with abe.com - I'm not sure where these booksellers ship to, but if you have not heard of it you might try it out and see if you might find some his works via that avenue.

10:21 PM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger C. Stirling Bartholomew said...

T.B.,

I used to make the 35mile round trip to the U-District to visit Half Price Books but with gas hovering around $3 a gallon I have just about given up going to book stores. I have found some real obsure titles at that store, some of the so obscure that even semitic scholars don't bother reading them e.g.,

Huehnergard, John, Ugaritic Vocabulary in Syllabic Transcription, Harvard Semitic Studies 32, Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1987

CSB

8:34 AM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Clay,

Yes, I used to actually work for Half Price Books here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I was always amazed at what people would bring in to sell. In the two years I worked there I found some wonderful titles - some very hard to find titles, and naturally I got first dibs on them since at the particular location where I worked, I stocked the religion section. ;-)

I miss those days - at least the getting first dibs on books, anyway.

9:05 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home