.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Friday, March 10, 2006

D. A. Carson on the Habits of Sin

"People do not drift toward Holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; we drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; we drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated."

-D. A. Carson

6 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

Wow. Carson was surely aware of the tendencies of human nature wasn't he?

2:10 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

He probably knows it from direct experience, huh?

3:07 PM, March 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get this quote from?

11:30 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Anon,
I have a quote book that I have kept for many, many years now. Over the years I write quotes from various authors, thinkers, etc.; sometimes I write the source and sometimes I do not. I have no source written down for this quote.

11:35 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

It is a nice quote- that's for sure! But, and this will sound odd- I read it just this past week somewhere online (not here) but for the life of me I can't remember where.

12:56 PM, March 11, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Jim,
I'm not surprised. I have read many quotes online at various places that I also have in my quote book. I esoecially see, more often than not, the more "popular" quotes from various thinkers pop up online. So nothing odd about that.

2:13 PM, March 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home