.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

We're BAAAACK!!!!

We made it back from Minnesota ok! It was a great trip and we needed to get out of Texas for a while. While we were there we got to meet Marc Heinrich of Purgatorio at the Christmas Eve service at Bethlehem Baptist Church (John Piper's Church).

We also got to go to Stillwater, which meant that I got to shop at both Loome Books locations. Here are the gold nuggets I found in their stores:

1) Hans Urs Von Balthasar, "The Office of Peter and the Structure of the Church"

2) Hans Kung, "Justification: The Doctrine of Karl Barth and a Catholic Reflection"

3) John Henry Cardinal Newman, "Select Treatises of St. Athanasius in Contraversy with the Arians" (2 vols)

4) Jaroslav Pelikan, "The Mystery of Continuity: Time and History, Memory and Eternity in the Thought of Saint Augustine"

5) Anri Morimoto, "Jonathan Edwards and the Catholic Vision of Salvation"

6) Ralph McInerny, "Boethius and Aquinas"

7) Joseph Owens, "Towards a Christian Philosophy"

8) Bernard Lohse, "Martin Luther's Theology: Its Historical and Systematic Development"

Also, in the bookstore at John Piper's church I found these two books:




Besides book shop (I did in fact do other things besides bookshop), we saw family and had a wonderful Christmas. So all in all it was a great trip (and a great book buying trip).

Now, back to blogging . . . be patient because I am about to type up my thoughts on an issue that is very controversial and post it (I don't want to let the cat out of the bag). This issue has been in certain discussions I have had with several people (as well as family members) recently and I at least wanted to get some thoughts (of course not exhaustive thoughts) in a post (or perhaps two).

Following that, I have intended to do a series on John Calvin's Theology from a more historical perspective (using only Calvin's works) and lay out a few smaller posts which will be summations of Calvin's thoughts on certain issues (this will certainly not be exhaustive either). So please be patient as I play "catch up."

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris Tilling said...

be patient because I am about to type up my thoughts on an issue that is very controversial and post it

*Waits with baited breath*!

6:09 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger marc said...

Todd,
It was great meeting you and your wife. Nice pickups at Loomes (I know Tom well). Look forward to the Calvin post.

Marc

7:20 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Chris,
Don't hold your breath too long, 'cause the sigh may be pretty big when you find out what it is . . . it's just been in my discussions recently for some weird reason.

7:49 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger Jeremiah Kier Cowart said...

Ouch! That you got that von Balthasar book hurts my feelings - my feelings of envy, that is. Glad you made it back and that you both enjoyed yourselves over Christmas. I look forward (who nowadays could resist?) to the controversial post!

10:35 PM, December 27, 2005  
Blogger David said...

Hey Todd, glad you're back. I'm especially envious of your Balthasar and Kung titles. Perhaps I'll have a chance to snake them from you on Saturday when your back is turned! :)

12:31 AM, December 28, 2005  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

David,

And you call yourself a Christian!

;-)

11:14 AM, December 28, 2005  
Blogger Ben Myers said...

That's a productive day of book-shopping! Kueng's book on justification is a masterpiece.

5:22 PM, December 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home