.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Gifts from Ben Myers

Back when I was posting my series on John Calvin (late Dec. '05/early Jan. '06), Ben Myers e-mailed me and asked me if I had a copy of The Schillebeeckx Reader. To be honest I knew next to nothing about Edward Schillebeeckx, O.P.. So obviously, I e-mailed Ben back and said "no." Ben explained that he had an extra copy and asked me if I wanted it. Well, I'd be a fool to turn down a free book, so I said I would love to have the copy.

A few weeks later I received the book, along with a pleasant surprise in the package. The surprise was a postcard with a picture of John Calvin that Ben had purchased at the Calvin Museum in Geneva. This was a great surprise and the postcard is displayed on the top of my desk in my study so anyone who comes into my study sees it.

Well, long story short, I finally finished all the books I had slated to read up to this point and as of the last 36 hours I have been reading The Schillebeeckx Reader. I am completely amazed that I have not read Schillebeeckx sooner. His work is so alive, so deep, so rich in theological content and meaning, and he writes in such a way that his words and content speak directly to the reader in a very moving and spiritual way. Putting it mildly, this book, so far, has been one of the better theological works I have read this year, and it is merely a "reader" with short excerpts of Schillebeeckx's works along with comments from the editor, Robert J. Schreiter. In fact, the book has been so good, I can hardly put it down. I just wanted to post my thoughts about this book so those of you who have an interest will get this work and read it. But also, I wanted to again thank Ben for such a great book!

By the way, Ben wrote a message on the back of the postcard and quoted these words from John Calvin: "Cor meum tibi offero, Domine, promte et sincere." ["My heart I offer to you You, Lord, promptly and sincerely"]

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris Tilling said...

Wow! Great stuff, you lucky git!

5:39 PM, March 25, 2006  
Blogger Jim said...

Lucky devil.

6:20 PM, March 25, 2006  
Blogger Ben Myers said...

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Schillebeeckx, Todd! He's one of my favourite Catholic theologians.

5:12 PM, March 26, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Yes, Ben, I am enjoying Schillebeeckx very much - thanks again for the book. And of course Chris and Jim are correct, I am a lucky (or at least blessed) git and devil!

12:17 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger Ben Myers said...

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "blessed devil"! ;-)

8:14 AM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

It is a special kind of devil (or git as the case may be) ;-)

10:21 AM, March 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home