.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Noted Events from 2005

Happy New Year Everyone! Here are a few significant things my wife and I enjoyed from 2005:

1) Biggest Event: We bought our first house.

2) Next Biggest Event: We gained a new niece to our family.

3) Praises: We finally found a new Church Home (Grace Community Presbyterian, PCA).

4) Sad Events: I turned 40 (yuk!)

5) New Creative Event: I started this blog!

6) Best Entertainment: Seeing the broadway musical, Wicked! (We caught it on tour here in Dallas - it was fantastic)

7) Travel: We only traveled once this year - to Minnesota for Christmas.

8) Necessary Event: I added about 100 to 200 new titles to my library :-)

9) A Needed Change: I changed jobs, which was a much needed move.

______________ Intended Goals for 2006 __________________

1) Read more books!

2) Review more books at Amazon (I have actually slipped in the rankings quite a bit).

3) Improve on my blog subjects - man, is that ever needed : - )

4) Add more books to my library (I hope my wife doesn't read this!)

5) Read more Robert Jenson, Karl Barth, and Jaroslav Pelikan (wait, that would fall into the read more books category from #1) Ok . . . . . . . read more books!

6) Actually go to California . . . we have never been and we have family that live there . . . so we need to head west for a vacation this year.

Ok, enough of this . . . We want to wish everyone a very happy and blessed New Year.

Thank you all for reading my meager little blog!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like a book worm, I will have to follow suit as there are so many great books out there.

3:26 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Ben Myers said...

"Read more books. Add more books to my library..." Hey, this is sounding a lot like my own goals for 2006!

Have you read Pelikan's 5-volume history of Christian doctrine? It's a masterpiece of historical theology, and it's well worth reading right through.

4:26 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

I personally am just praying for the following :

Consistant with my bible reading. Many times I am just more into tangent study of the bible rather than always completing my through the bible in a year.

Also to exercise more with my wife and be more encouraging to others

4:33 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Shawn said...

Actually I will probably write up resolutions like Edwards as well and compare with last years

4:36 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Ben,

I have read the first volume of Pelikan's 5-volume set, I need to read the other four volumes - thus my goal (along with a few other works by him I recently obtained).
___________________

Shawn,

You are correct about consistant bible reading. However, I have been trying to study more of the bible in Greek, since my Greek has gotten so rusty.

Thanks for the comment, I too firmly believe that we should consitantly read the bible (that's a worthy goal).

6:22 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Jeremiah Kier Cowart said...

Ha! That's great Vick. #8 is hilarious. Who in the world (other than you and J. Reed from seminary days) would have a margin of error of 100?!
"I added about 100 to 200 new titles to my library"
That is absolutely hysterical. I hope the smiley means you're partly joking and are a little more exacting in your knowledge of just how many books you did add last year.

But, I'm envious nonetheless. I'd be lucky to pass a year with 10-20 new titles added. In any given year, we seem to add more babies than books to our household. ;-)

8:59 PM, January 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home