.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Wright on Justification in Paul’s Letter to the Galatians (After Thoughts)

Back in 1997 or 1998 when I first read What Saint Paul Really Said, as a good friend of mine from Marquette University often liked to say—I was scandalized. Back then I was so entrenched in my reformed thinking that this book offended me. Almost ten years later, tons of research in Paul’s epistles, deeper research into the Catholicity of the Reformation, a deeper and formal study of hermeneutics (inside and outside the classroom), and my studies in Luther's theology, I’m not as scandalized with this second reading.

For the last ten years I have struggled with certain aspects of reformed theology, especially as it has been presented by contemporary thinkers (i.e. the confusion between the gospel proclamation and the doctrine of imputation, the casting away completely of Church Tradition as if it had no importance at all, etc.). Moreover, when I always came to the texts of Paul (and the book of James), there were various things that just did not “click” within my reformed framework, certain texts that did not make sense in light of certain thinkers/reformed commentaries. After reading Wright for the second time certain things about Paul’s Epistles just jumped out at me and they made more sense. It was as if I was in a dark room and could surmise the things that were in the room with me, and knew where they were located and to a certain extent what they were, but then someone came into the room and turned the light on and my vision cleared up a bit.

All that being said, the question remains, am I totally convinced by Wright’s small work? Not completely, but it has at least opened my eyes to a newer way of looking at Paul. Furthermore, many of the Pauline texts that “baked” my mind when I read them many years ago and confused my “reformed” senses suddenly made much more sense. So, with this history of entrenchment in reformed doctrine I can fully understand that when someone who is in that same position reads Wright they seemed “scandalized.” As it was stated in the comments to one of these posts, a person simply cannot read Wright’s work once and then suddenly be convinced by it — “it takes an extended discussion face to face walking through numerous texts after much reading to make some progress” as David declared. This work by Wright is a culmination of about 25 to 30 years of researching Paul’s text and hammering out the issues to understand Paul’s thought. However, I would also venture to say that someone cannot read Wright's work once and then suddenly be unconvinced by it. There is simply more to it than that.

In summation, I think what Paul is getting at, in a very broad sense, is the gospel is the proclamation of the Jewish Messiah who is Jesus, and His fulfillment of the Law, His life, death and bodily resurrection. As Wright describes it, “The gospel itself is neither a system of thought, nor a set of techniques for making people Christians; it is the personal announcement of the person of Jesus. That is why it creates the church, the people who believe that Jesus is Lord and that God raised him from the dead. ‘Justification’ is then the doctrine which declares that whoever believes that gospel, and wherever and whenever they believe it, those people are truly members of his family, no matter where they came from, what colour their skin may be, whatever else might distinguish them from each other.”

Regardless of your theological background, whether reformed or not, I do recommend Wright's work to you. It is at least worth considering.

10 Comments:

Blogger T.B. Vick said...

David you state:
"The reformed position is no longer a viable historical interpretation of the text in my opinion."

I realize there are perhaps other issues that might keep you Protestant, but based on what you stated above what keeps you from becoming Roman Catholic?

Jill? 8-)

3:55 PM, March 03, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Gage,
I would also recommend Climax of the Covenant and Wright's commentary of Romans (in the New Interpreter's Commentary Set). And Although I have not read this work as of yet, I was recommended (and actually bought a copy) of Wright's latest work Paul in Fresh Perspective.

And, as Chris suggested, over at Mike Bird's blog is an article he wrote and published titled Incorpaorated Righteousness. If you need to link to that check the comments in the first article I posted on Wright.

5:08 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Actually, I was wrong about Climax you can still get it at Amazon, new or used. My bad.

7:11 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

David States: "But the irony of the situation is doubled if Wright is correct about Paul on justification. That doctrine meant the dividing wall between Jews and Gentiles was gone and people of all status were united as one in Christ. Now a relatively tiny sect has used their view of that very doctrine to make a renewed ethnic church cut off from all of christendom. Even the reformers could not have meant this to happen."

I think the above is very telling and quite true to a large extent. The reformers (especially Luther) did not intend to begin new factions by the hundreds, and new denominations by the same numbers.

As Friedrich Heiler (Luther/Reformation scholar) stated, "It was not Luther's idea to set over against the ancient Catholic Church a new Protestant creation; he desired nothing more than that the old Church should experience an evangelical awakening . . . Luther and his friends wished, as they were never tired of emphasizing, to be and remain Catholic."

8:17 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Gage and David,

I have been keeping up with your dialogue in these and other comments and have benefited greatly - you both have added some great dimensions to my thinking on this issue.

My wife and I are actually looking for churches outside of the PCA and OPC (mainly due to the points Gage has brought forth) and moving more into Reformed Episcopal or mainline Protestant of some sort (perhaps a more conservative PCUSA church).

The PCA, unfortunately, is now split - to a certain degree - over the NPP. Albeit, I have no vested interest in the PCA denomination - especially since our exodus from the last PCA church where we were members - along with Gage and his family - which was, to a small degree, more like a group of ex-Baptists trying to be PCA, though we did love that church.

Anyway, time will tell whether the PCA will ultimately embrace the NPP or at least some form of it (i.e. Mike Bird's article is a fairly well balanced article - though I am still reading it and re-reading it to make sure I understand his points very well).

At various conferences (PCA conferences) I have attended where Horton, Ferguson, Sproul, et. al. were speaking, I would hear people ask them very pointed questions about the WCF (I cannot recall the specific questions at this moment, just the end results and how they answered - this was 12 to 15 years ago) and these guys did not answer these people's concerns very well. At that time this caused me to begin to question the WCF and how it was received and viewed within these denominations. Moreover, I saw then and still do today how the WCF is treated as if it is an "unquestionable confessional" document - which in my mind was no different than what I thought was going on in the Catholic Church (at that time in my thinking anyway).

Of course, in these denominations and maybe amongst those who I know well within these denominations, they might perhaps see my move away from the WCF towards the NPP as a denial of the gospel - although that really seems absurd to me.

But that is where I stand at this stage anyway. You both have given me much to think about - and I have kept my views quiet for several years now simply based on the fact that I am tired of debate and controversy (remember I went to SES for nearly 4 years - the "Mecca" of debate and such). It gets old having to defend everything I believe or even research to consider adhering to - unfortunately in the last PCA church I was a member I had to keep quiet about some of the things I was considering or researching - and that should not be the case for me or the denomination - thus our move away from all that.

1:34 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Gage states: "First, it would not be a move away from the WCF that would lead me to believe that you deny the gospel. My points of emphasis in the related blogs with David were to say, to deny WCF Ch. 11 means you "aren't presbyterian nor should you be." In my view being presbyterian means something... namely, not being in disagreement with the WCF Ch. 11. I personally don't care if someone disagrees with the confession, my Lutheran friends have issues with it as well. But they are consistent in the fact that they aren't trying to be presbyterian."

I understand what you are saying, Gage, and I agree (but I am sure you would mean an agreement with more than merely ch. 11, would you not?)

Gage states: "The confession is an not an "unquestionable document". I have never heard it taught as such."

True. The PCA/OPC, etc. (and yourself) may not teach the confession as an "unquestionable doctrine" but they (maybe not you) act as if it is (I've witnessed this first hand) . . . in a practical sense it is treated as such. I think that those Presby's who adhere to the WCF do so to have a confession or a set of standards, so to speak, you are correct in saying a structure is needed within the denomination. That's true of any denomination (this is in fact a very Catholic way of thinking).

Gage states:
"Whether or not you are moving away from the gospel is a different issue, and I have blogged ad nauseum on that issue. My question was geared toward the idea that NPP advocates have moved away from being Presbyterian and should not be presbyterian."

I agree, you are not saying anything new here.

Also, no need for the history lesson regarding the PCA Book of Church Order, I agree with your points on that. :-)

Gage states:
"Is the Confession Divisive?
I have to answer yes, in some cases. Where people do not agree with statements of faith in the Confession of Faith, there may well be, and has been, division. But then nothing is more divisive than the Bible itself. Think of the trouble the prophets of the Old Testament got into at times when they faithfully proclaimed the Word of the Lord which came to them. And remember the division Jesus caused when he began to define the truth concerning himself in John 6:66, ‘From that time many of his disciples went back and walked no more with him’. Only twelve left, and one of them an imposter. The living Word had divided them. However, the true believers were united in Christ and his words. See vs.67-69"

No issue with me regarding the WCF being divisive - Federal vision adherents have proven that to be the case, etc. However, your example of John 6:66 has nothing to do with the WFC. Moreover, I am not rejecting the teachings of Jesus, nor am I rejecting the gospel message that Jesus is the Jewish Messiah, who lived, dies, and was resurrected, and who also declared that we should repent and embrace the Kingdom of God. That is what Christ taught, I agree and believe.

With reference to your quote from Clancy, love it! Great quote "A little revolution now and then is a healthy thing, don't you think?" That quote really applies to the view of the NPP doesn't it? (chuckles out loud) 8-)

4:16 PM, March 08, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Gage states: "that quote [Clancy's] is aptly applied to those who hold to the historic confessions"

Gage, which confessions would those be?

8:53 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Gage that's very telling!

8-)

2:43 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

That would depend on which confessions adhere to you (big smile and chuckle over here)

8-)

btw - you never answered my question about Steph . . . when is your number two due?

4:35 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Well, we will continue to pray for a safe and healthy delivery.

He's going to have a cool name ;-)

7:22 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home