.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What Are Your Throughts About This Video?

I have seen this video at various different blogspots and websites. I have very mixed feelings and thoughts about the content of the video and its purpose, or at least how it has been used. What are your thoughts on this video, feel free to comment, I am curious as to what others might think about this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Scott said...

Since I've never seen this before, I can't speak to either the purpose or how it has been used. But one thing stands out to me. There is the view that every Christian ought to be a confrontational evangelist. I wouldn't be surprised if this were used by an evangelical group to guilt-trip Christians into confrontational evangelism by claiming that the need for it is so obvious that even an atheist recognizes it.

After ten years of being guilt-tripped, I've discovered that I'm not an evangelist and that an evangelist is only one of many gifts given to the church. This doesn't mean that I shy away from my faith or neglect engaging with others, it's just that evangelism isn't my thing. I support evangelists to some degree, and in various ways, but I'm not one myself. The resulting peace from this realization has been a blessing and I can concentrate on my true callings - as a husband, father and architect. (and blogger)

2:41 AM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Steve,

This video, at least from what I have seen, has been used at various blogs dealing with confrontational apologetics, mainly from the Josh McDowell type of apologetics.

I found it interesting that this atheist simply repeated what certain fundamentalists espoused regarding evangelism and Christianity.Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

8:13 PM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger Bloggy said...

I've seen this before as well, and the supposed argument, or pressure tactic is a form of denying the antecedent (instead of consequent in a Modus Ponens), which is unfortunately a common tactic among Christians to pressure other Christians into serving...

(1) If you are willing to use confrontational evangelism, then you really believe what you claim to believe
(2) Oh, you don't use confrontational evangelism?
(3) I guess you don't really believe what you claim to believe.

Of course, not engaging in confrontational evangelism does not mean one is not devout in their faith.

Replace confrontational evangelism with anything, i.e.: short term missions, parking lot attendant, vacation Bible school, and you should get the jist. It's a good scare tactic, but I'm rarely persuaded by those.

12:25 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger One of Freedom said...

Wow that is screwed up. I didn't see the ending coming at all. I feel kinda doubly defiled. :-)

He was right about there being a lot of ignorance about what Christians believe, but it seems that not just the Christians are ignorant about it. Not sure what I would do with that video, if anything.

3:35 PM, December 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home