.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Shadows of Divine Things

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

This site is devoted to theological and philosophical investigations of the spiritual meanings of life, current events, music, spiritual growth, nature, and learning to be attuned to listening to the 'language of God.' The name of this blog comes from one of Jonathan Edwards's journals which he called 'Shadows of Divine Things,' and later renamed 'Images of Divine Things.' As a Christian I am continously on a spiritual journey to grow more into the image of Christ, to understand what it means to be crucified with Christ. To seek the truths of the Christian Faith is of upmost importance, and to know that any truths that are found outside of Christianity are present there because they ultimately point to God. I have an M.A. in theology and apologetics and I completed one year of graduate studies in Philosophy at Marquette University.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Homosexuality: By Definition (Part 2)

Considering the definition sent to me via e-mail, that homosexuality is romantic love, I have several things to say. First, romantic love seems to involve sexual acts. Second, being attracted to someone does not always entail romantic love. Moreover, someone could be romantically in love with someone of the same sex or opposite sex and never have sexual relations. However, the norm is that when romantic love occurs, sexual relations typically accompany, unless there is some physical “problem” that would keep both parties involved from performing such acts.

I have a good friend (male) who has modeled for various fashion companies. Needless to say, because he has modeled he is very attractive. I can recognize that he is an attractive man and do so without ever feeling any sense of romantic love for him. In fact, I can find a female attractive and never have any sense of romantic love for her as well. Thus, merely finding someone attractive does not entail romantic love. Attraction does not equal romantic love.

So back to the initial question; the person who sent me the e-mail asked me what my thoughts were on same sex romantic love and if I thought it was a sin. I have included some of my thoughts on same sex romantic love (and romantic love in general) in this post. I now emphasize my point that unless there is a physical “condition” that would keep two people (whether of the same sex or opposite sex) from performing an act of sex, sexual acts usually always accompany romantic love. To use the terms romantic and love together connotes a very specific type of “love” which implies or includes some sort of physical contact in the relationship beyond merely holding hands, finding someone attractive, etc.

That being the case, romantic same sex love implies sexual acts. The two seem to go hand in hand, unless “love” is defined or qualified with some other term, relationally. So what are the implications of this type of relationship? Is this kind of relationship sinful? These will be some of the questions I will attempt to answer in the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home